Thursday, April 9, 2015

Ain't Louie Fest (ALF) 2015

Ain't Louie Fest (ALF) race 2015

Well Not really a thrilling adventure but I feel you guys will enjoy it anyway.


I was introduced to the ALF "race" about 3 years ago by Tom and have found its one of my Favorite water events to Photograph.  When I first experienced the ALF, I didn’t know what to expect. The only thing I knew was that there would be canoes going over baby falls. (at first I wasn't sure if I had heard them right) did they say canoes, going over Baby Falls?, Yep, Canoes ,not Kayaks, though you do see a few kayaks go over) since Canoes usually do not go over falls. While shooting the event, I noticed the family like atmosphere. Also, the encouragement they give each other is inspiring, and yes the commentary and light rubbing they give each other cracks me up. The event is a blast to shoot and watch. Between the Carnage, Crazy outfits, and even the Barrel that one of them went over in one year, it never makes for a dull moment.

Here is a tip: Arrive early to the race! There is almost no parking as it is there and on race day parking spaces fill up several hours before the event starts. Don't forget that when parking in the pull offs that your tires are off the road ( They ticket you if your car is not off the road). If you can Car pool have them meet you in town and car pool from there.  
 The Race usually starts at noon so I try to get there around 9am one for a good parking spot and two for a good shooting spot. 

I sent a message to the Photography group I'm part of to see if they would like to shoot the race. Due to the late notice of myself finding out about the race and then posting about it there were not very many members able to make it. 
Several People showed interest so I told them to look for me in my Pink hat and Green TOP (Tennessee Outdoor Photography) shirt. Thats the Name of the Photo Club.
I did get to see several of our Members there, One being Gregory Cook of Gregory Cook Photography. It was great to finally meet and talk to him in person. 
Janice and Tim were there also with their precious dog. Keith Nicodemus was there and it was good to see him again, poor guy broke his ankle pretty bad awhile back so It was good seeing him out and about.
I didn't know till I got back home that another dear Photographer friend of mine (Tee) had been there as well. I was a little sad to have missed seeing her as it had been a few years since I had seen her.

As I arrived to one of the take out spots I had to stop to let some Kayakers and Canoers load a truck to take them back to the top to run the falls. Side note( please be nice and stop and let these guys load and unload, also if need be I'd even be willing to give some of them a lift). With all the traffic I was a little concerned that I was to late to get a good parking space. But I had nothing to fear there were still several parking spaces left. I ended up Parking at Bald river falls parking area. I had thought the spaces in the baby falls parking area had been full but when I walk up to the parking area there were still a few parking spaces available.  

This year I was excited to get there early because that meant I was able to claim one of the good shooting spots. I decided on setting up on the rock that sits out in the water. I did see another photographer set up hanging off the embankment. What a perspective they had, will have to think on that for next year. But you need robe if attempting what they did. They tied off to a tree at the top of the bank and harness themselves so they could sit on the bank without sliding down. They had a good side view of the falls.

I enjoyed shooting and watching the Canoes go over the falls. Some made the landing and others did not.,Which made for some good Carnage Shots. I'm sorry but I love some good Carnage, as long as everyone is not terribly hurt. I find it makes for the best pictures and gives the rider a interesting story to tell. 

  









All images from the race can be found on my Website www.muskratphotography.smugmug.com
  under the races/water fun gallery 
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Feel free to use the share button to share the images, you can purchase individual images or you have the option to purchase them on a CD.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
It maybe a week or two before all the images are up and available for viewing

No comments:

Post a Comment